November 4, 2010

Ear Tag Numbers For Our Sheep

Unlike my random naming system, my ear tag numbers do have some order and reason behind them. This is not the way you have to do it, just the way I decided would work best for us. You can make up whatever system works for your farm.

The first year that we had lambs (2008), the first lamb born was designated as FRRR 101U. The second lamb was 102U, the third was 103U, and I continue this way through the last lamb. The FRRR portion of the number is our flock prefix which is registered with the Canadian Livestock Records Company (CLRC), for the purpose of registering our sheep. The FRRR precedes all of our flock numbers.

The only numbers that I skip when assigning tag numbers, are numbers with 3 of the same digit, i.e. #111. The reason I do this is because I only have 2 of each number for my tattoo gun. If a ewe has twins with both a ram and ewe born, I always tag the ewe first (ladies first, you know!), and the ram with the next number.

In 2009, I started my numbers with 201W. In 2010, our numbers began with 301X, and in 2011, our numbers will begin with 401Y.

The letters that are in my tag numbers are designated by the CLRC. These letters are to be added to the animals tag number so that their year of birth can be easily identified. This unique alpha-numeric number is to be tattooed in the animals ear. Only registered animals need to be tattooed, or use this letter designation. The CLRC does not use letters that could be easily confused with other numbers or letters such as I, O, Q and V.

I will write a post at another time, about the actual "how to" aspect of tagging and tattooing.

No comments: